Sunday, April 10, 2011

Big Saturday night.....

You know the motto- "life is good".  Tonight I may restate that as "Life is- well awkward".  Dave is busy in his new workshop making his work bench. 


Dave's dream workshop!

Think of all the projects.....

Nice work Dave!

However, I am not sure what to do.  My studio is not set up yet, the kitchen is such a disaster I can't really cook much of anything.  I really don't feel like doing any dishes- but really, who thinks Saturday nights are for doing dishes?  There is no place to be these days..... there is no place to sit.  My favorite new spot to sit is on the threshold for the new outside door.  I've spent a lot of time there lately just looking.  The living room is a new state of chaos as we can't put the room back together quite yet since the casings and sills have not gone on the new windows.  Going out to dinner isn't really an option when we have so much to buy for the house.  A nice dinner out or... a light for the bathroom?  When I got home from work tonight I sat in the new bedroom for a while looking at paint chips and wishing that we could be spending time in there.  Then I wandered outside to visit the chickens and Cranberry for a while.  I stood in the new kitchen and enjoyed what would be my new view from the windows and really liked the new perspective on life.  I ogled the new flooring and imagined what it would look like when it was installed.  But, really is that Saturday night stuff?   The lull in something to do on a Saturday night is temporary and I look at all that is going on and picture what life will be soon but tonight.... well, I'm bored!

View from kitchen windows towards hill

View from where sink will be- sorry about the blurr....

My Saturday date while Dave works in the work shop.....

New reclaimed Southern Heart Pine- my brother says looks like bacon...
It does!
Remember the days when Saturday night meant big plans? Saturday nights in college meant keg parties and mayhem, Saturday nights after graduation I lived in Boston and met friends out on Newbury Street.  In graduate school Saturdays again meant more gatherings and eventual trips to Nantucket to see Dave and really more mayhem... those were the days.  Not too long ago I remember having dinner parties and friends over to hang out..... who wants to come over now and stand in the kitchen listening to Prairie Home Companion while eating a salad?  Nobody!  This will all change soon enough but for now when we are not invited for an activity outside of the home- it's awkward.  I look at the clock- 9 pm.  Hell, I can probably go to bed now.....

Very soon we will be able to start sleeping in the new bedroom.  What will stand between the new room and peaceful slumber is the paint color for the walls. But now that I think about it, is there electricity in there yet?  Hum...... anyway, we can now really decide on color since the floor is done and on Friday Harvey gave the wooden ceiling a special whitewash.  It looks great!  The room is beautiful with all the nice light wood and pine flooring.  The decision to whitewash, even though it did take us a long time to decide, was the right one!  Even Dave, who was skeptical, loves it.

White washed ceiling in bedroom

I love the subtle whiteness of the ceiling now!
The old bedroom and bathrooms also got new windows this week.  I have to thank the guys for being so patient starting their work in there until after I left for the day.  I can't tell you how impressed I am with their consideration.  When I got home from work I noticed that they had rehung my "modesty curtain" in the bedroom and also put the bird feeder back up!  We feel so very lucky to have G&S for this project.  Recently I heard about two horror stories about kitchen remodels that went terrible wrong and had to be redone. Counting my blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment