Sunday, February 20, 2011

Underpinnings...

 While the house is quickly getting a new outer self, I am still mesmerized with it's underpinnings.  I spend a lot of time looking at the house beneath it's skin.  I love the old clapboards, the lathing, the "skeleton" of the house.  Maybe its the biologist in me and the love of seeing things for their component parts- cells, blood vessels, the molecules that make up the whole.  In some ways it's a shame to cover them back up.  I'm not done looking yet.  While I still am in love with the barn, the visual interest for me is waning with the dry wall being up and it is looking more sterile.  I will have to make it my own soon.  My new love is the new bedroom ceiling and my old office space.  Its raw and wonderful!

First. look at how amazing the clapboards are looking.  I don't think that I have ever stood outside of a house and been as totally enamored before.  The attention to detail and absolute perfection in craftsmanship is apparent.  Now I have no idea who forgot to drive in that one nail but the next day it was corrected quickly. 

Quietly understated beauty

Simple perfection

Now back to the underpinnings-

Front door as it was

Stripped of it's skin (and particle board door frame- yeah!)

Old back of the house before break through- see where window used to be.

New connection of old house with addition- very cool!

Old exterior wall removed to merge with my old office

Old office with window to front of house- new landing

Old office back wall- will become staircase- also old window uncovered

Old lath under clapboards
Last week the sheet rockers, the electrician and plumbers were here doing their thing.  It's all coming along/  I can't wait to see what happens this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment