Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cooking 101: What would Julia do?

Part of the fun of this whole project is to find the stuff that will go inside. To research each decision and hopefully make the right one.  To me the stove is the second most important decision to be made, after the contractor of course.  And I wouldn't have started the blog if that wasn't already done (but not yet discussed in detail).  I knew I wanted a professional stove but I was not sold on which one.  I went to the Internet and started reading the reviews of the most popular ranges on the market- Viking, Wolf and Blue Star.  I read about the Aga too- it looked the part but was it going to play the part as well???  I am not a conventional person by any means.  I usually do not follow trends and get what everyone else has.  Instead I tend to seek out the more esoteric products.  When I comes to picking out a stove that I will most likely cook nearly every meal for the rest of my life in it is going to have to be a work horse.  It was in one of these reviews I discovered Lacanche French ranges.  My heart lept with joy.... That's it!!!!  These beauties are hand built in Burgundy France and shipped over just for you!  You can read all about the variety of ranges, see their wide selection of gorgeous colors and options at  http://www.frenchranges.com/main.shtml.  But where could I see one in person?  I could not possibly make that kind of investment sight unseen!  Would this range allow me to cook the way that Julia taught us in her book Mastering the Art of French Cooking?
The people at Art Culinaire could not be nicer or more accommodating.  They are aware that people like to see and touch the stove, open and close the doors, turn the beautiful knobs before they plunk down their cash.  They have set up what they call an "Ambassador Program" where Lacanche owners in your area will let you come over and see their range.  These stoves have a cult like following and owners are eager to talk about them and show them off.  Dave and I went to visit a family that have owned a Cluny for 10 years and love it.  We were treated to the best blue berry buckle that I have ever had- the top was crunchy and cinnamony it tasted wonderful and it was cooked to perfection.  Based on the buckle we were sold on the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment