Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Colors of Summer....

I love to fill the house with flowers any time of the year but in the summer especially.  I've always been pretty creative with my choices since I don't ever want to spend a lot of money on flowers.  I tend to pick what ever is green in the yard and fill in with some brightly colored flowers.  This year with our garden in a hiatus until we have some time to organize ourselves I've had less to choose from.  I have plenty of weeds though.  Some with some very interesting leaf shapes.  There's also one that has w dainty little spiky flower.  Since we were having Francie and her dad over for dinner last night and they have not seen the house since last summer before the work was done I wanted the kitchen to look great.  I picked a few flowers at Scott's pick your own flower place.  I love the rows of zinnias and sunflowers that they have.  However, I am very careful not to get too many since they can add up fast of you pick a heavy stem!

Zinnias are my favorite summer flower.  They remind me of my childhood.
These spiky purple flowers look great with the weeds from the yard. 
Just a few sunflowers to brighten the kitchen.

We are still in the picture hanging mode!  The rooms are taking on a real life feeling.  I have to get into the old living room and start getting the boxes out and sorted through.  Not looking forward to that one- but needs to be done, and soon!

Nook

Small folk art birds painted by Evelyn Dubeil of Glastonbury- she's almost 90 now and still painting!
 The colors of summer extend to the table as well.  These wonderfully multicolored carrots came from a farmers market in Holyoke MA.  They were delicious, as were the multicolored little potatoes!

Carrots before the roasting
Happy tiny spuds!
Love the Hipstamatic- totally forgot about it until this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment